Get Latest Kernel To Boot By Default In F23

P. Gueckel pgueckel at gmail.com
Fri Oct 2 22:21:24 UTC 2015

I messed something up by manually installing the
kernel-PAE package (my kernel supports pae and nx).
Then, I read that PAE is only useful with more than
4Gb of memory, which my laptop does not have, so I
went back to the default kernel. This is easier,
anyway, as it requires no extra work for me, in the
future.

However, now my grub2 menu is messed up.

1. The oldest (third in the list) kernel is always the
one that is set to boot, so I have to manually select
the newest kernel every time I switch the laptop on.

2. The nice default menu with the extra features for
each kernel that drop open when selected is no longer
present.

I checked the /etc/default/grub file and the contents
are exactly the same as the file on my desktop
computer, which does default to the newest kernel, so
the problem is not with saving. I have selected the
newest kernel and booted a number of times, but it
never gets saved. There is some other problem afoot
here.

How can I get the latest kernel selected by default
(top of the grub2 menu list) and also have the extra
options for each kernel in the drop-down menu
restored?