Workstation 23 (Beta) locking up

Kamil Paral kparal at redhat.com
Tue Oct 6 08:45:06 UTC 2015

> Yes it's an Intel one, and yes I'm using a dock but it's only to get
> it charged conveniently and connect to other perks - such as wired
> network and input devices - but the dock has no monitor attached.
>
> I've had the lockups happen frequently when travelling; been away for
> 2 weeks now: that implies no dock at all for many days, and even with
> several reboots between the last time it was in the dock (obviously,
> because of the issue itself).

So it's not dock then.

When the device locks up, try to connect to it from PC2 over ssh and inspect the logs. If that doesn't work, wait a few minutes to make sure all data is synced (provided the system is at least a bit alive), and then reboot and inspect last boot logs with `journalctl -b -1`. (Using sysrq is very helpful here, sysrq+reisub).

If that doesn't work either (the cause of the lock-up is not in the logs), you can also try connect from PC2 over ssh while your computer is working fine, run `journalctl -f` to follow the logs, and then wait until your computer locks up. Hopefully you'll see at least some useful info before it stops communicating over the network.

As a rule of thumb, you can also try different kernels. You should still have some F22 kernels installed, try them (or install them manually from Koji). Then also try latest F24 non-debug kernels [1]. That will give you additional data points.

[1] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/KernelDebugStrategy