[F24 Criteria Change] Cockpit Release Criteria

Dennis Gilmore dennis at ausil.us
Fri Oct 23 12:41:56 UTC 2015

On Thursday, October 22, 2015 02:35:11 PM Stephen Gallagher wrote:
> Recently, we discovered a bug in gnutls that caused Cockpit to be
> unreachable by recent versions of Google Chrome. It was ambiguous what
> the release criteria actually means, since it didn't specify which
> browser applications were blocking. I'd like to propose the following
> additional wording for Cockpit criteria:
>
> * All Cockpit functional criteria must be satisfied when the user is
> running any of the following blocking browsers:
>  - Mozilla Firefox as shipped in the same Fedora release
>  - Mozilla Firefox of the latest available version on Windows at
>    compose time.
>  - Mozilla Firefox of the latest available version on OSX at compose
>    time.
>  - Google Chrome of the latest available version on Fedora at compose
>    time.
>  - Google Chrome of the latest available version on Windows at compose
>    time.
>  - Google Chrome of the latest available version on OSX at compose time.
>

> Alternately, we could decide that it's only *blocking* if the above
> browsers work with Cockpit when the browser is running on Fedora, but
> that is somewhat at odds with our reasoning for having a management
> console as a web UI in the first place: that it is accessible
> regardless of the client system.

I think that it is fine. But you need to make sure you have resources
available to test on Windows and OS X. I wonder what can be done to do
automated testing on the platforms to ensure things work. I would like to have
us try and automate most if not all of the validation,  at least in a basic
level.

Dennis