Criteria / validation test proposal: Installer help screens

Adam Williamson adamwill at fedoraproject.org
Fri Oct 30 18:47:01 UTC 2015

On Fri, 2015-10-30 at 08:04 -0400, Kamil Paral wrote:
> > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/QA:Testcase_Anaconda_help
>
> " Proceed through the installer for a while, clicking Help on each
> screen. "
>
> On each screen available, or on each screen you go through? The first
> meaning could make for a wearisome test case. I'd rather avoid robot-
> like test cases (for humans, not when we automate it) and go with the
> second meaning, relying on fuzzy-testing (each person does that a bit
> differently) instead.

I was kind of leaving it intentionally vague (hence the 'for a while').
Do it till you get bored. :) I'm fine if you want to propose a tweak,
though.

> > and I'm proposing we add a Final criterion:
> >
> > * Any element in the installer interface(s) which is clearly
> > intended
> > to display 'help' text must do so correctly when activated.
>
> Sounds good to me.
>
> PS: Originally I wanted to add that I'd also like to extend this to
> the installed system, not just installer. In the installed system, it
> would cover only the "main help entry", i.e. somewhere in main system
> menu. But then I realized we probably already have it covered by
> "default application functionality" criterion.

Actually we intentionally took it out; we used to require that all apps
installed by default have a working Help, but it was one of those
polish requirements that seemed too onerous and no-one wanted to spend
their time checking and we'd perennially just waive at Go/No-Go anyway,
so we took it out. Some GNOME apps do not in fact have Help, e.g.
Software.