Virtualbox does not work with Kernel 4.2.x

George Avrunin avrunin at math.umass.edu
Fri Sep 4 02:02:47 UTC 2015

On Thu, 3 Sep 2015 21:17:49 -0300, Aka Ídviare wrote:

> Hi all :)
>
> In this moment i have install two kernels in my F23
>
> - Kernel 4.2.0-1
> - Kernel 3.19.7-200
>
> Virtualbox work fine with the kernel 3.19, but when i use the kernel 4.x
> and i run sudo /etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup for compiler the modules i give
> a error message. Since kernel 4.x virtualbox is unusable for me. i'm not
> sure if this is could be a bug or similar case.
>

> Thanks :)

I'm on F22, not 23, but today I encountered what is likely the same
problem on both F22 and F21 with the 4.x kernels. Are you using UEFI
Secure Boot?  The issue in that case is that the modules need to be
signed.

I found a procedure here
http://ask.systutorials.com/1549/virtualbox-report-kernel-driver-not-installed-on-fedora-21
(which points to another source) that worked on the F21 machine.  I
haven't had a chance to try it on F22 yet.

Someone who actually understands how this Secure Boot stuff works may have
a better explanation and solution.