F23: # dnf update dnf* rpm* ==> no repos configured

Russel Winder russel at winder.org.uk
Mon Sep 28 15:30:26 UTC 2015

[…]
Even though the tests may not have caught this problem it does seem a
pity that the tests are not run on every commit or relatively closely
timed group of commits.

> […]
Maybe it would be a good move for the dnf team to reflect on this
recent episode and see if there are some tests that can be put in place
to try and avoid a recurrence. There may not be, but it would be good
if there were.

[…]

> Certainly it's always good to keep improving the test suites, though
> find it difficult to assume that any failure of a test to catch a bug
> means the tests are 'sub-standard'. Testing is hard, and nobody's
> perfect.

Very true. I perhaps got a wee bit over aggressive in phrasing. Also
Rawhide users are effectively the user QA team so must expect the
occasional cock up. Just now I cannot get a graphical login, only
terminal ones, but this sort of thing is to be expected from time to
time. dnf though holds a special place and so there is justification
for much more emphasis on workingness before being released to the
repository.

--
Russel.
41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel at winder.org.uk