[Fedora-trans-ar] Arabic Maintainer

Muhammad Alkarouri malkarouri at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Jul 1 12:51:40 UTC 2004

--- Munzir Taha <munzirtaha at newhorizons.com.sa> wrote:
[...]
> It depends. Let's see...
> Just now I read the message by Bernd Groh entitled "About the new Status
> Pages". This message is very clear and to the point.
>
> This message defined the maintainer as:
> "A Maintainer is the person commited to providing a high-quality translation
> of that module to the user-community. Yes, the maintainer is also the one who
>
> takes the blame for a bad translation"
>
> According to this definition, I have no choice but to take the maintainership
>
> until I finished the translation and the QA/blame phase. After that I will
> gladly handle the maintainership to someone else and make a party to get rid
> of the ghost ;)

While you have choices, as there need not be a maintainer, it will be a
sensible step.

> Regarding the mailing list, I am not sure whether this is related or what
> responsibilities it carries. I feel it need 24/7 work in front of a PC ;)

That is why I asked in my last e-mail about your handling the list, rather than
asking about handling the modules. It will probably be rather difficult,
especially in the current situation, though I think it will be good if we can
release Sarah from this complcation, as she already has enough work on her
plate.

> Finally, I am sure that the good guys here have contributed to Fedora and
> Linux much more than me and just it happend by chance that I have a team
> under my hands these days and I am trying to make use of this oppertunity as
> much as possible.

To say it more explicitly, currently Arabeyes is by far the largest contributor
to Arabic translation. According to the current decision there, they are not
participating now. And a maintainer is a person commited and accountable at the
time. While I personally prefer that the translation comes under the scrutiny
of their QAC, if they are not to be involved and cannot maintain the work well,
they aren't going to do it.

I am probably going to renegotiate their decision some time later, especially
after the clear explanation offered by Bernd.

Conclusion: As you have the team currently working, I would prefer that you
become maintainer, at least till your team finishes working and/or appreciable
change in positions happen. I believe that you can negotiate with Arabeyes if
and when they participate; Sherif has already voted, and I am voting now (for).
If Eldesoky says ok, I think we can proceed.

Think of that 'list' matter..

Salam,
Muhammad Alkarouri

Disclaimer: .. As usual.

=====
"Never trust a computer you can't lift."
"How does one lift a virtual machine? :-)"

"Using the "cp" command :)"
                                                .. As seen on OxLug