[Fedora-trans-ar] Vote!!! Which translation is better..

Munzir Taha munzirtaha at newhorizons.com.sa
Sun Jul 11 20:43:16 UTC 2004

On Yaum al-Ahad 23 Jumaada al-Awal 1425 01:53 am, maha helwa wrote:> Helloo All..>> It seems this translation is not an easy thing to do at all.. i need your> opinion in what i find out..
yes, to get the most accurate or most common is not easy at all. My experience with KDE and Fedora translation nowadays proves to be very useful to me so I would do my best to help here.
> First.. some words was strange or confusing me.. like these:> >"Directories","الأدلّة".. I guess: "مجلدات" is much better and meaningful.
We need to distinguish between folders and directories. The standard here is to translateDirectories as الأدلّةFolders as مجلّداتand we will reserve the word فهارس for the word indices so don't use فهارس for directories.
> >"Virtual Host", "مضيف وهميّ">> my guess:  "المضيف الافتراضى"
no, "المضيف الظاهري"
> >"Logging","التّسجيل"..  There won't be a difference between this word and
Logging on تسجيل الدخولLogging تسجيل

> "Registration", could it be another word something like ‘الدخول’ ?!
Registeration تسجيل(don't forget registered mark ماركة مسجّلة)It's not bad at all to use the same Arabic word for two English words if it's the most accurate and common.
> >'Options','خيارات'>> خيارات or اختيارات ..it's fine but I’d like to know if there is a> difference.
Well I can't explain the difference but خيارات is the correct one ;)
> >"Default": "إفتراضى" or "إعتيادى" which better!!Default افتراضيBTW, may I request that any one involved in translation should know the rule of using Hamza with alef?
> >"Error Code": “رمز الخطأ” or "كود خاطئ"
رمز الخطأ> >’Site Configuration’: "تهيئة الموقع" or ‘إعداد الموقع’
إعداد الموقع
> >"Configuration File":   ملف التّهيئة  or "ملف الإعداد"
ملف الإعداد
> >'Password': 'كلمة مرور' ..i guess "كلمة سر"  much better..
كلمة مرور
> Second the sentences itself.. some lost the whole meaning. I modified some> sentence. And would like to know your feedback which better: (Vote)>> >” The configuration file has been manually modified. Overwrite?”:>> 	1.” ملف التّهيئة تمّ تعديله يدويّاً. هل أكتب عليه؟"”> 	2.” لقد تم تغيير ملف الإعداد هلى تريد حذف الملف القديم ؟”
ملف الإعداد تم تعديله يدويّاً، هل ترغب بالكتابة فوقه؟
> >” The Edit an existing alias for the hostname:\n”:>> 	1.” عدّل اسماً بديلاً مسبق للمضيف:\n”> 	2.”\n:عدل اسم البديل الحالى للمضيف؟”>> >” Edit an existing alias:”:>> 	1. "عدّل اسماً بديلاً مسبق:"> 	2.” عدّل الاسم البديل الحالي”
تحرير اسم مستعار موجود
>"A directory named %s already exists."> 	1."هناك دليل اسمه %s موجود مسبقاً."  >         2." %s سبق وجود هذا المجلد بهذا الإسم ">         3."موجود مسبقاً %s هذا المجلد "
الدليل المسمّى %s موجود مسبقاً
>> >"Only absolute directories are allowed.":
يُسمح فقط بالمجلدات المطلقة. أو مسموح فقط كلاهما شائع
>         1. "الأدلّة المطلقة فقط هي المسموحة.”>         2.”مسموح فقط  بالمجلدات ذات المسار الكامل"

> That’s just a sample.. still the rest of the file didn’t finish it…> But we have to settle a way to decide which most translation is most> properly translated without losing its meaning.. the whole context> meaning.!..
Keep up the good work and let's agree about something we need to use the most common translations that people got used to. Sometimes, you have two correct translations so we go with the most common. Defining most common I meant to say that is used by Apple, Sakhr, M$ and university books.
Sherif, I have a funny and nice suggestion (to be patened soon) but don't know if you would like it. It's like the tip of the day. In this tip I would suggest a translation correction. You distribute the files between the translators. Any translator grep his files for this translation and see whether it's correct. If not correct it and report how many instances have been found. This is of course after the translators agree with the tip ;) If the translators have more time in their hand we can make it 5 tips per day. This way we can define a standard to follow.

-- Munzir Taha  PGP Key availablegpg --recv-keys --keyserver www.mandrakesecure.net F0671821
Telecommunications and Electronics EngineerLinux Registered User #279362 at http://counter.li.orgMandrake Club memberMaintainer of the Open Arabic Bugs Project athttp://wiki.arabeyes.org/OpenBugsCIW Designer, ICDL, MOUSNew Horizons CLCRiyadh, SA