[Fedora-trans-ar] QA Start

Munzir Taha munzirtaha at newhorizons.com.sa
Wed Sep 8 09:41:24 UTC 2004

On Yau al-Thulatha 22 Rajab 1425 23:58, maha helwa wrote:
> Hello All,

> 2. Terminologies/Phrases:
> such deamon..logins.. user home directory..scripts.. ssh..ftp..http..cgi..
>  How to shape-up its translation in a final phrase..
> i don't know whether we should consider it like product names or not, but i
> guess it should be attached with more describtive text.

> also.. something like this phrase: "Allow sysadm_t to do almost everything"
>  The same thing the word 'sysadm_t' i don't know whether it's a service or
> a deamon or whatever kind of process it is.. but i think it should be
> attached with text defines what sysadm_t is?!

I want to propose a rule here: If an English speaker won't understand the
phrase, an Arabic speaker should ;)

In other words if an English speaker need an instructor or a book or ... to
understand it, the Arabic speaker should need it, too, or else we will close
our institute ;)

> i want to ask.. how can i test these po files on fedora and see arabic
> supported.. i didn't install fedora but i just want to know how.

man msgfmt

> 3.Translation Conflicts:
> last thing i guess.. We have to settle a way between us whenever a conflict
> occurs in our translation..
> we are not a big team..just 6 active members, and voting won't be a good
> solution in our case.. i guess!!
>
> for example: the word 'directory'..i would prefer

> Maybe am wrong maybe am right.. but there is a conflict(little one) and we
> should settle a way to solve such a conflict whenever it occurs.. something
> other than voting because we are only 6 no more(hope we get bigger).. and
> we all follow such way.. or is somebody here have the rights of Veto :)

Let's discuss it first: I am proposing different translations for directories
and folders since there are situations where there is a distinction. They use
folder for something different than a directory.

> BTW, What's .pot files  you'v been talking about!! :))

The original po file before beginning translation is .pot we just rename it
to .po before starting.

--
Munzir Taha  PGP Key available

Maintainer of the Open Arabic Bugs Project at
http://wiki.arabeyes.org/OpenBugs
CIW Designer, ICDL, MOUS, Linux+
New Horizons CLC
Riyadh, SA