[Fedora-trans-ar] QA Start

Muhammad Alkarouri malkarouri at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Sep 8 10:28:13 UTC 2004

 --- Munzir Taha <munzirtaha at newhorizons.com.sa> wrote:
> On Yau al-Thulatha 22 Rajab 1425 23:58, maha helwa wrote:
> > Hello All,
>
> > 2. Terminologies/Phrases:
> > such deamon..logins.. user home directory..scripts.. ssh..ftp..http..cgi..
> >  How to shape-up its translation in a final phrase..
> > i don't know whether we should consider it like product names or not, but i
> > guess it should be attached with more describtive text.
>
> > also.. something like this phrase: "Allow sysadm_t to do almost everything"
> >  The same thing the word 'sysadm_t' i don't know whether it's a service or
> > a deamon or whatever kind of process it is.. but i think it should be
> > attached with text defines what sysadm_t is?!
>
> I want to propose a rule here: If an English speaker won't understand the
> phrase, an Arabic speaker should ;)

You mean: .. shouldn't ;)

> In other words if an English speaker need an instructor or a book or ... to
> understand it, the Arabic speaker should need it, too, or else we will close
> our institute ;)

Sometimes I feel that some words/phrases should not be translated in the first
place. A person that already knows what sysadm_t is will know it in English, so
I would transcribe that. Besides, sysadm_t is a domain name in selinux, and
like user names, it shouldn't be translated. Has anybody translated 'root' yet?
(Not that I know much about selinux, anyway..)

I had this problem in the anaconda file. There was SCSI, which I put as is. But
more complicated was something like FCP LUN, which you will probably meet when
you start to use zSeries machines and connect via Fibre Channel. When you do
that, a translation wouldn't be your largest problem anyway.

> > 3.Translation Conflicts:
> > last thing i guess.. We have to settle a way between us whenever a conflict
> > occurs in our translation..
> > we are not a big team..just 6 active members, and voting won't be a good
> > solution in our case.. i guess!!

I would say consensus, then voting.
Almost everything would be agreed upon. I don't think we will need to carry a
formal voting per se.

Salam,
karouri