[Fedora-trans-ar] QA Start

Muhammad Alkarouri malkarouri at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Sep 9 13:30:12 UTC 2004

 --- Munzir Taha <munzirtaha at newhorizons.com.sa> wrote:
> On Yaum al-Khamees 24 Rajab 1425 00:25, maha helwa wrote:
>
> > I know this could be an advanced level of administration and by default
> > end-user aleady knows this..but our mission shouldn't depend on end-user
> > knowledge rather than it should make arabic support more friendly interface
> > and understandable to any kind of user normal or expert..
>
> Maha, me as a translator don't know what's sysadm_t means so you need me to
> go
> searching or asking on the net to understand it and then explain it? Even if
> we agree with you, do you think this is a priority? Isn't it better now to
> have at least correct mere translation rather than nice few explanations
> mixed with lots of clearly wrong translations? What others think(tm)?

In the other e-mail I meant 'root' as the root (administrator) user. Now for
this specific case 'root' is not translatable, neither is 'sysadm_t' which is a
domain name (think of it as a group name, or a policy name, though it is
neither) by the same token.

And besides, our mission is not _only_ depending on end-user knowledge, it is
actually totally defined by it. There are some jobs that are not actually done
by normal users. So they wouldn't use that. In such a case it is clearly better
to translate that so that expert users will understand that.

For example, there are some aspects of hardware that will not be used by a
normal user, let's say we are using FC (Fibre Channel) networking. Any user of
that network will know that FCP is the Fibre Channel Protocol that is used to
interface SCSI on Fibre Channel. As many translators will not know this, it is
risky for anyone who is not professional in this area to translate this. Not
every translator is a 'Telecommunications and Electronics Engineer' you know:)
Besides, the one who will use this FCP knows much more than us anyway; a wrong
translation will hinder rather than help him.

Let alone that technical terms have a whole lot of different translations in
the Arab world..