[Fedora-trans-ar] Why Fedora installs all the world languages on my poor laptop?!

Munzir Taha munzirtaha at newhorizons.com.sa
Wed Aug 17 06:14:32 UTC 2005

في يوم الثّلاثاء 11 رجب 1426 20:11, كتب sabdelg at redhat.com:
> > Today I checked the Arabic locale .mo files by doing locate .mo. I was
> > astonished to find my poor laptop doesn't only have Arabic and English
> > languages installed but every language one can dream of. This makes a
> > total of 332MB on my hard disk. Now I am going to remove them manually
> > which is not something to be recommeded since it breaks package
> > validation. Any one here knows why is this? Any solution? Should I tell
> > Sherif to file a bug? ;)
>
> can you do the following against some of the .mo files:
>
> rpm -qf /path/to/file.mo

Each rpm package contains all the languages packed within it. For example,
rpm -qf locale/ru_RU/cups_ru_RU
cups-1.1.23-15.1

> I would like to know which RPM is installing the files, and if they
> are all coming from one RPM.

no not from one RPM

> Also, if there is deps that is being
> statisfied by installing these files befor we can say it should not
> be there or it need to be fixed.

I am not speaking about installing an input method for CJK or the like. Every
package, every game, every screen saver ;) is installed with all the
languages. If you can push things regarding to locales and glibc from inside
redhat, then I would be happy to tell you about other arabic-related bugs
where I feel the redhat guy there is not cooperative enough ;)

> > Another point is I am missing the all the Arabic locales files like
> > LC_TIME, LC_COLLATE, ... and hence I can't display the date in Arabic.
> > There is is also no ar_xx locales for different Arabic countries - only a
> > standard ar! May be I am missing something obvious?
>
> You wiwll need ar_xx if you have different translations for different
> countries.
> But as I can see it. For example, you have UK Vs. UK because there are a
> team who is translating or providing the differnet version of certain words
> from UK.
> Hence, once we have different groups from different countries who
> speaks arabic,
> and they speak in different dialog and want different translation, you
> can then
> see or ask for different ar_xx :) (at least that's how I think it is)

No Sherif, it's not like this. The point of different ar_xx is not mainly
concerned with the Arabic language translation but with locales. In other
words, the ar_xx folder should contain the files that correspond each country
to it's numbers system, calendar system, .... For example, in Saudi Arabia,
we use Hijri Calendar as an official calendar and we use Hindi numerals where
as in Morocco they use Gregorian Calendar and Arabic numerals. The ar_xx
should take care of all this with the LC_TIME and LC_NUMERIC. Say the same
thing with regards to currency symbol, ...

- --
Munzir Taha
https://listman.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-trans-ar
Maintainer of the OpenBugs project page at
http://www.arabic-fedora.org/munzir/OpenBugs.html
Master CIW Designer, ICDL, MOUS, Linux+, LPI 101
New Horizons CLC, Riyadh, SA