[Fedora-trans-ar] Do we have any Web Developers within?

sabdelg at redhat.com sabdelg at redhat.com
Wed Aug 24 15:05:52 UTC 2005

Maha,
   Good start. Here is my comments:

We can have one screen, yet what he/she can do within the screen is different.
So basically, based on user level (hence, you need to authenticate users)
you can have three access levels:

- Guest, can view browser, editing is not avilable for him.
- Contributor, he will be allowed to "edit", and "submit" changes,
  mark strings "fuzzy" or remove "fuzzy" marks" .. His entries should
be kept in
  different "proposed" table till a Maintainer "approve" it and move it to
"current"
  table.

- Maintainer, he will be view current approved, and "proposed" changes, hence
  he can "approve" and "merge" or "discard" the new "proposed" change making it
"current"
  or send it to "trash"

- System Admin Screen: Maintaince tasks, like populate DB with data
from files,
  backup db, dump DB, restore, ..etc.

  Functionality will be allowed to him:

  a. Parse the files on server (that will be on same server your code will run
on),
     and "insert" these parsed files into the "DB". This will be needed
at start
     time to "take from files into DB", also will be needed if we need a fresh
     copy from the files on disk to DB in case something happened and
we need to
     load files again.

  b. Compile or generate "PO" file again from DB and store it to file in hard
disk,
     or update the hard copy so we can later take this and sync it back to CVS.

  So basically ability per file to load from the copy on the hard, or generate
  and compose the file from the DB back to the hard.

  c. Backup DB and Restor DB from SQL files , add users, remove users, change
passwords
     for users ..etc. Create translation project, define file to maintain, and
locations.

Both Contributor and Maintainer views should be able to ask for "show all the
file", or "show me fuzzy" only or "show untranslated". Maintainer should be
able to also show "show submited"
strings waiting for approval so he can see these strings on one place.

To do that , you will need in your table to have a flag describe the state of
each
string.

And forget about sync`ing with CVS, and CVS commands. As long as it save files
in a file
somewhere we can define. Admin can checkout files, use your JAVA to manipulate
files,
then he can check in files manualy later. Or an automated task to do
that can be
done later.

How does that sound ? Too much, sa7 ? :)) LOL I think it would be the perfect
product that you can sell for anyone afterwords to help them translate or
contribute in open source ;-)

Sherif