[Fedora-trans-ar] .PO &.txt?.. what makes PO Very Special!!

Maha Helwa ms.helwa at gmail.com
Mon Aug 29 21:49:11 UTC 2005

Ok.. got another question.. what's the difference between .txt and .po ..
sure there is a difference.. but am thinking about how to deal parse and
rebuild PO file from java code.. we need to read po file each to update the
db..so we need to do some parsing work and understand how to read it..the
second time i need to deal with PO file when am populating the data backward
from the db into the files; modify the already existing file or create a new
one.. what if i did treat it as a text file that am looking for say "daemon"
take it with its translation, know if it's translation is fuzzy or not.. and
then populate the data into db table. vice verse.. i want to create or
modify PO file.. I'll be looking for a keywords and change the text or a
value of a header.. that's it!! i guess so :))
  We have 3 significant data in PO file:
 1- The original string and its translation; search on *msgid*&*msgstr*keywords
 2- Knowing whether or not the string is fuzzy; by searching on this "*#,
fuzzy*" in the header of the current string am parsing on..
 3- The file headers.. for example..at the top of samba file you will see
this section and it's existing in each po file:

# translation of system-config-samba.po to Arabic

# This file is distributed under the same license as the PACKAGE package.

# Copyright (C) YEAR THE PACKAGE'S COPYRIGHT HOLDER.

*# Ossama M. Khayat <okhayat at yahoo.com>, 2004.*

*# Maha Helwa <mahahelwa at gmx.net>, 2004.*

*# Sherif Abdelgawad <sherif at redhat.com>, 2004.*

*# Munzir Taha <munzirtaha at newhorizons.com.sa>, 2004*.

#

msgid ""

msgstr ""

"Project-Id-Version: system-config-samba\n"

"POT-Creation-Date: 2005-03-09 15:51+0100\n"

*"PO-Revision-Date: 2005-04-10 02:31-0800\n"*

*"Last-Translator: maha <mahahelwa at gmx.net>\n"*

"Language-Team: Arabic <fedora-trans-ar at redhat.com>\n"

 Only 3 values that are changeable by the time of checkin any PO file:
> Add the name of the contributor at the end of contributors list and update
the value of "last translator" tag or whatever it's called ..
> Date of Revision.. i don't think every checkin.. when this value is
changed?
 So i want to know why i should not treat any PO file just as a normal text
file? is it about the encoding? well am not sure but i guess it can be
handled from the java side!! decided to read/write any part of PO file with
certain encoding "utf-8"?
  Yareet had yerod.. sherif..what do think?! shall i do it in this way?!
FYI.. i did not read the source of kbabel yet.. i get shocked when i tried
to look for a piece of code that reads the strings from PO file..which is
doing what?! i get lost and frustrated after this try.. i don't remember C..
what a shame!!
 Maha.