[Fedora-trans-ar] Happy Ramadan (late)

Mohammad Ghoniem Mohammad.Ghoniem at univ-ubs.fr
Sat Oct 29 15:28:36 UTC 2005

Assalâmu `alaykom

I hope all of you are fine.

Munzir Taha wrote:

> If you really care about us/me being more involved, you need to tell
> us/me why
> we need it. In a previous message I mentioned something along this line.
> There are already available software. In short, if you are not going
> to tell
> me exactly what's missing there that you are going to do, I won't be very
> interested but I won't break your experience. This is also targeted to
> Ghoneim and any one here who understand the issue and could explain it
> to me
> in an easy way for me to understand ;)

I am not an advocate of reinventing the wheel. IF the existing tools are
doing the job, or the features they lack can be added easily, I would
not support writing "yet another tool". This is as far as theory goes.
Now in pratice, I could not find a decent documentation saying what
pootle does or does not, for instance. I subscribed as a translator at
http://pootle.wordforge.org/ and had a glimpse of the interface : as far
as I remember many features can be added / improved. What about the
other tools ? Can someone audit them ?

In short, we need three things :
1- assess the capabilities of existing tools,
2- write specs for our own tool if we reach the conclusion that a new
tool is needed, (I have been asking for specs for some time now)
3- make sure that redhat is not developping its own tool in parallel, as
I have seen discussions in this regard

Unfortunately, I won't be able to be more helpful in the next three
weeks. Al-Barakah Fîkom ;-)

salâm

Mohammad