[Fedora-trans-ar] New Guide For new Arabic Translators

Munzir Taha ( منذر طه ) munzirtaha at gmail.com
Tue Jun 1 19:34:00 UTC 2010

On Yau al-Thulatha 18 Jumaada al-Thaani 1431 8:26:18 pm Ahmed M. Araby wrote:
> > 1. I prefer if you take files one by one. Finish it, allow us to comment,
> > commit it, rather than doing it atomically.
>
> Is this only for me or do you want me to add it to the guide ?

This is for all newcomers to allow us the chance to review their first
translations and comment and once we are convinced they translate correctly,
we would allow them to translate as many as they want.

> > 2. I request that you remove the links to arabeyes docs, at least for
> > now, since it contains some decisions against the way we used to
> > translate and it's not a matter of who is right or wrong but a matter of
> > personal preferences. e.g. our policy here is not to make the
> > translation odd to the normal user to make their transitions smooth and
> > we translate "Open" as فتح and copy as نسخ like any other operating
> > system where arabeyes choose a different way. Again, this is not to say
> > they are wrong and we are right or vice versa, it's a preference and we
> > want to make our translation consistent.
> >
> > We can discuss this later in more details but for now remove it, please.
>
> I've removed most of it but kept the technical dict as there's no other
> alternative

I can live with this, especially that I now see this rule
ترجمة الأفعال إلى مصادر (مثل create = إنشاء).
at http://wiki.arabeyes.org/القاموس_التقني
which contradicts the official stand and the rule at
http://wiki.arabeyes.org/معايير_الترجمة

I don't know whether it's a typo or a disagreement but I hope they won't
notice it ;)
However, for a better alternative, there is http://translate.google.com
I just now tried to check both and compare quickly. I tried the word "copy",
In arabeyes I got
http://wiki.arabeyes.org/techdict:Copy
which translate it as ينسخ and classify it as noun which is not technical and
not correct and not sufficient where as google translation gave more accurate
results so I don't know why should we recommend it rather than google's? I
highly believe we should contribute - if we have resources - to wiktionary
than to arabeyes' because of the capabilities of wiktionary and the wider
audience. This my personal preferences and not an official decision so take it
or leave it.

> Greetings,
> Ahmed M. Araby<egydev at fedoraproject.org>

Please, keep up the good work and thanks for your help.

--
Munzir Taha