Translation tools for Fedora Project

Dwayne Bailey dwayne at obsidian.co.za
Mon Feb 2 15:48:02 UTC 2004

Alan Cox wrote:

>poedit is a really useful one because its cross platform so can be used
>under other OS too. Helps a lot when the translators are not neccesarily
>yet Linux people

I'll second PO edit for its cross-platform features.  The difficulty of
installing and learning a translation tool is the reason why we are
headed towards a web-based tools (we have started working on a Python
based web translator).

We've also produced some Python scripts that do the following:
* Convert Mozilla DTDs and properties file to PO and back
* Convert OpenOffice GSI files to PO and back

We hope to expand these to make translations fairly portable between
different formats.  We're also looking at extending them so that they
will take any currrent Mozilla or OpenOffice translation work and
convert it to PO thus allowing a team to migrate to the PO format and
thus use the PO translation tools.

Also we:
* Convert PO to CSV (usefull when your translators use MS Excel)
* Do consistancy checking on PO files (start and end, acceleraotrs,
variable, capitalisation, untranslated, etc)
* Have tools to build Mozilla .xpi translations.

If you want to use or help improve these then please check
translate.sf.net.  Our join our dev mailing list by emailing
translate-devel-request at lists.sourceforge.net with "subscribe" in the body.

--
Kind regards
Dwayne Bailey

Obsidian Systems
dwayne at obsidian.co.za     +27-21-448 9265 / 7827 (work)
+27-21-448 9574 (fax)     +27-83-443 7114 (cell)

"An English-only, or even an English-mainly, policy necessarily condemns
most people, and thus the country as a whole, to a permanent state of
mediocrity, since people are unable to be spontaneous, creative and
self-confident if they cannot use their first language"
         Dr Neville Alexander - 'Where English can Serve but not Empower.'