[Fedora-trans-list] How to test translations?

Sarah Wang sarahs at redhat.com
Fri Jan 9 01:19:28 UTC 2004

This is a very good question! A good topic for HOWTOs.

Josep Puigdemont wrote:
> Hi,
>
>   Does anyone know how can we do tests for our translated modules?
>
> What I would mostly like to test is the installation, so we can be sure
> about the context of the strings, that they fit on screen, that they are
> understandable, etc...
>
> I suppose I could build my own CDs (I think there are posts on devel
> mailing list on how to do that), and just install Fedora again, but I am
> sure there must be a simpler way to test this, right? This looks way too
> tedious... :)
>
> I also collaborate with the GNOME translation project, and what I do to
> test my translations before committing them to CVS is to produce de
> ".mo" file from the translated ".po" with:
> msgfmt -cv file.po
> which outputs a binary "messages.mo" file, that I place with the right
> name, in normally this directory (in my system):
> "/usr/share/locale/ISO_LANG_CODE/LC_MESSAGES/"
> And then run the application, which will load the new messages.

Yep, that's what I'd do with all packages except anaconda.

> Could something similar be done for Fedora at installation time? How
> does other teams test it? Or better, how does Red Had test it? (If I may
> ask :)

In my experience, the only way to test installation translation is to go
through the actual installation process :) Download the ISO and have a
test run. Maybe there are other ways that I'm unware of... anyone please?

Sarah