[Fedora-trans-list] Including Bangla OT Fonts.

Sayamindu Dasgupta sayamindu at clai.net
Tue Jan 20 12:26:44 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-01-20 at 06:46 -0500, Alan Cox wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 20, 2004 at 02:38:51PM +0600, Jamil Ahmed wrote:
> > We have already build RPM for this purpose.
> > But, What about Anaconda? we have translated it fully. :-|
>
> Can you explain about Bangla fonts ?

Hi,
We have created a number of GPL'ed Opentype fonts - the project site is
http://www.nongnu.org/freebangfont

The download link do not work - however, the files are downloadable from
ftp://ftp.gnu.org/savannah/files/freebangfont/

The font that I recommend for use at this moment is MuktiNarrow -
ftp://ftp.gnu.org/savannah/files/freebangfont/MuktiNarrow.pkg/0.94/
MuktiNarrow-0.94.tar.bz2

This font does not look good when you do printing with it - but at
present , Indic printing is not possible from GNOME (support is still
not there in libgnomeprint). Printing from KDE is possible (if you use
QT 3.2 or above), but Bengali input in KDE based apps is still quite
flakey.

The MuktiNarrow has been developed from the glyphs of the fonts donated
by M/S Cyberscape Multimedia Limited. Details at
http://www.gnu.org.in/software/software.html#akruti

For best results, the MuktiNarrow font should be used with hinting
turned off - which can achieved on a system-wide basis by inserting the
following lines in /etc/fonts/fonts.conf or in /etc/fonts/local.conf

	        <match target="font">
	                <test name="family">
	                        <string>Mukti Narrow</string>
	                </test>