Annoucement: New translation status page is installed

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Tue Jul 6 15:42:11 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-07-06 at 17:51 +1000, Bernd Groh wrote:
> What is the major drama about having the changes in the cvs? If the
> translation is no good, you can always roll back. I prefer to have the
> changes in cvs, at least then everyone can have a look at the most recent
> changes without having to talk to the person who has the po-file in
> her/his inbox. A commit is not a final thing, it can easily be undone.

That depends on when the commit is done.  If the commit is done shortly
before a freeze of some sort, there's a good chance that it _can't_ be
easily undone.  It first requires getting the maintainer of the module
to respin when they thought they were already done.  A lot of the QA
which has been done at that point then also needs to be at least checked
to see if it needs to be reverified or not.  And if it's not noticed for
a day or two (for whatever reason, that's not unreasonable) and you then
hit the point at which the tree is frozen, then getting it changed is
that much more difficult.

>  Or do you always
> make sure that your most recent software changes work before you commit
> them? How do you do that with a larger addition? Do you wait till it's
> finished and not keep track of changes for days, but commit a whole
> bunch of changes at once?

The goal has to be to keep CVS working at all times.  Otherwise, you
kill testing.  So yes, I tend to try to make sure that either a) my new
stuff works or b) at least doesn't break anything new (perhaps the new
functionality doesn't work, but old things should continue doing so).
This is even more the case with translations since the code maintainers
of a module aren't going to know/keep up with the status of the
translations and so need them to be as "correct" as possible at all
times since there's no controlling when they're going to do a build.

Jeremy