Arabic in FC2 ?

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Sun May 2 21:43:36 UTC 2004

On Sun, 2004-05-02 at 13:35 +0200, Youcef Rabah Rahal wrote:
> There have been recently a very astounding work realised on Fedora's Arabic
> translation (70% translated since March 12th, 35% translated the past week
> !). Arabic is now ranked before many languages supported in FC2 [1]. And it's
> actually very possible that before May 7th, a percentage of 95% (or even
> more) would be attained.

This is quite an accomplishment, congrats

> Is it still realistic to ask for the inclusion of Arabic in FC2 ? If so, how
> and when this could be done (procedure to follow) ? I've already submitted a
> bug report about it in parallel [2].

Unfortunately, not, at least not from an installer point of view.
Adding a language to the installer requires the addition of strings to
support that language (ie, it would add the string "Arabic" which would
then need to be translated into every other language).  Additionally,
especially with languages that use a different character set, I need a
test release during which users of that language can ensure that things
look okay as far as fonts and the like.

Jeremy