Arabic Translation - 100% Translated

Josep Puigdemont josep at imatge-sintetica.com
Tue Sep 7 16:32:33 UTC 2004

Hi Andrew,

On dt, 2004-09-07 at 16:19, Andrew Martynov wrote:
> Hello, Josep!
>
> I thought we has discussed human factor in producing mistakes.

Oops, no, I wasn't talking about the human factor here, I was referring
to the comment on your message about the consistence of .po files with
their respective .pot file:
http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-trans-list/2004-September/msg00008.html
>>>I suppose better choice is to make sure the consistents .po and .pot
>>>files by some automatic procedure.

That's where msgmerge can help us with (provided .pot files are up to
date).

> I always tried to check my translation before commit, and I founded
> two type of my mistake:
> - some strings (msgid and msgstr pair) was accidentally removed  or
> added
> - msgid was modified (for example, changed count of spaces)

"Errare humanum est", but I believe there're more chances to make a bad
translation than to mangle msgid strings if we don't touch them (and
we're not supposed to). If you have any of the problems you described
before, I would recommend you to find out why this actually happens,
rather than to make a pre-commit script that should figure out what we
did wrong. My guess is that you're modifying msgid strings, and we
should _not_ do that (maybe the software being used does not respect the
original msgid strings).

If one changes minimally a msgid, msgmerge can even make an entry fuzzy
instead of wiping it out completely, that would really be cool, but it
could also take a lot of CPU time for long .po files.

> It is good idea to made pre-commit check for all modules.

It certainly is, and in fact the CVS server does check a file prior to
its commit (try to commit an ill formatted po file, you'll see), I think
there was another thread (long ago) talking about this.

Anyway, maybe my suggestion wouldn't be good for a pre-commit script,
after all. I sent it here because it is what I usually do with my
translations, and I thought it could be helpful to others too.

Regards,
/Josep