Explanation of the summary for "fence"

Sherif Abdelgawad sabdelg at redhat.com
Fri Aug 19 23:07:10 UTC 2005

Göran ,
      The servers in cluster mounts the cluster filesystem at the same
time with read/write access. If one of the machines is not responding
or is thought to be not functioning well, hence it is important to prevent
this machine from accessing the shared storage or the cluster filesystem.
Hence the action of "fencing" the node. So the goal is to prevent the
node from the I/O path to the storage. This usually happens by different
means. So fence here would refer to isolating the machine or cut the
path to the I/O somehow.  I am not sure if isolate is a proper meaning
here, as the goal is to cut really the I/O path either by rebooting the
machine or switching off the SAN port that connect it to the storage.

Not sure if I explained or made it more complicated!

Sherif