HOWTO For Testing New Translations?

Pedro Fernandes Macedo webmaster at margo.bijoux.nom.br
Thu May 12 12:20:42 UTC 2005

Daniel Yacob wrote:

>How is this done?  I've searched around and find the question asked a
>lot but no answers seem to be out there.  Has anyone written a "HOWTO"
>or some other helpful documentation?  I'm willing to write one if not
>but will need some guidance to get started.  Any help appreciated.

Here's a small translation of a guide provided by David Barzilay on an
e-mail for the pt_BR team:

1. close all instances of the programs that use the po file
2. go to the directory that contains the file and then run : "msgfmt
your_locale.po -o <package_name>.mo"
3. make a backup copy of the file
"/usr/share/locale/your_locale/LC_MESSAGES/<package_name>.mo"
4. cp <package_name>.mo /usr/share/locale/your_locale/LC_MESSAGES/.
5. run the program and your translation will be there

I've done those steps when testing a few of the translations for FC4 on
my FC3.. Some strings surelly will be missing , so the ideal option is
using FC4T3 to test the translations. In my case , I upgraded some
programs from rawhide to test them (and some of them couldnt be tested ,
since the dependency chain was too big).

--
Pedro Macedo