Translating Gnome Top Level Menus

Essien Ita Essien essien at wazobialinux.com
Fri Apr 7 13:33:40 UTC 2006

Xavier Conde Rueda wrote:
> Hi Essien,
>
> i think you can see which .mo files are being accessed for an
> application. Just run gnome-system-monitor, select a process and look
> at its memory map or shared dlls. The .mo objects used should be
> displayed as shared objects.

Hi Xavier,

That does help a bit to see which .mo files are used by which
applications. Thanks a lot.
But i don't know which application is responsible for generating the
those menusitems under "Applications", for instance "Accessories",
"Graphics", "Programming" etc,

Anyone know which app does that? Is it metacity? or gnome-panel? or
gnome-session?

Is there any caching that goes on when a .mo file is accessed? Like is
there any thing that could lead to an app caching its .mo file contents
_away_ from the /usr/share/locale/[xx]/LC_MESSAGES folder? if this can
happen then this may explain my issues.
> I think this question arised some weeks ago on this list too.

oh yeah? Lemme search around see what i can find. Any more info is much
appreciated.