Call for updates - Release Notes

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Fri Dec 15 01:30:39 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-11-30 at 16:43 +0000, Miloš Komarčević wrote:
> On 11/30/06, Dimitris Glezos <dimitris at glezos.com> wrote:
> > O/H Lauri Nurmi έγραψε:
> > >
> > > If I have translated the parts of release-notes required by the browser
> > > splash page, but nothing else, will my translation be packaged, and will
> > > I see the browser splash page in my own language?
> >
> > There are some people currently looking into this. Basically, we'll try to
> > separate the `po` file of the release notes from the other two because it's
> > significantly  bigger. Unfortunately, it's not a trivial task because it affects
> > packaging, so I can't say if we will be able to do it at this time. If not, then
> > the separation will have to wait for FC7.
> >
> > Are there any other translators that would like to translate the messages of
> > "Browser Start page" and "System -> About Fedora" but don't have the
> > time/resources to translate the Release notes?
>
> Yes please, this would be very much appreciated, as I already
> mentioned on the list once.
>
> Serbian translation has had these parts (README, README-BURNING-ISOS,
> About, homepage etc., everything except the huge RelNotes section)
> ready for FC6. Unfortunately we just don't have the time and resources
> to handle the big section in the few days between freeze and release,
> and it doesn't make sense to work on it in the meantime since it will
> change considerably.

Sorry to be late to the thread here.  I am starting with the homepage
and moving these into separate modules.  I'm confident this will work
for an FC-6 update at some point (probably in January 2007), and we will
use that model for release 7 and going forward.

My plan is to modularize the following:

release-notes - only that content from the Beats on the wiki
readme - The standard descriptive README on CD/DVD #1
readme-burning-isos - Helpful information for the mirrors on burning CDs
about - The "About Fedora" menu item
homepage - The browser splash HTML page

With the exception of "release-notes" (which already exists), I need
someone to create these modules in i18n CVS for us to populate with POT
once this work is done.  (I have an account there with write access, but
if some additional ACL is used, please allow me to write to these
modules.)

cc'ing the f-docs-l for informational purposes.