Guide on release notes translation?

Dimitris Glezos dimitris at glezos.com
Sat Jul 15 14:36:30 UTC 2006

Bringing this up again, since I got frustrated (again) today while
trying to understand how to organise an efficient translation procedure
for the release-notes.

O/H Karsten Wade έγραψε:
>>>  * What's the best way to retain the translated parts of the older beats
>>> without translating them again?
>
> This are questions that are going to matter when going from test2 ->
> test3.  None of the content from FC5 is relevant, although there may be
> some exceptions if a beat writer retains something.

As I see it, much of the content is relevant and needs not
re-translation. Probably the best way for a translator to save time is
to translate one relnotes document (say, test2) and then put his
translations in the tranlation memory and fuzzy-translate the next .po.

> As we get closer to the release, some content is added, some is changed.
> We do want to collect some how-tos/tips for translators for keeping
> translated strings where there have been no changes.

For this to work effiently, we could clarify to the translators which
strings/sections are most likely to be edited and which are most likely
not to change until the release (like, say, section titles).

This way, the translation could start earlier than the FC6 release
freeze, by translating the not-likely-to-be-changed strings.

>>> If there is such a page (targeted for translators, not beat writers),
>>> someone please point it out to me (sorry for not finding it).
>>>actual
>>> If not, then I believe such a page would be useful, because the
>>> translation of the release notes are somewhat different from the rest of
>>> the docs.
>
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/DocsProject/Translation is all that I know
> of.  Perhaps you can help write such a page at
> DocsProject/ReleaseNotes/Translation?

Karsten, I am very confused on how the whole release-notes production
procedure and I can't create such a page. I can help though after one
who understands the procedure add some content.

Sure, the .po creation procedure is not yet fixed. But, at least a
document describing how and why each .po was created, would really help
us to understand how things work and how to organize the translation. I
am sure I am not the only translator confused about all these .po files
that change all the time and duplicate each other's content.

(Even devel/en_US release-notes compilation with `make html` fails right
now due to a Kernel.xml produces an xml validation error.)

I think the work everybody is doing is great and of high quality, please
don't get me wrong. It's just that this confusion will probably result
to the relnotes not being translated for the test releases and probably
not making it for the final release either. Which is a shame. :/

We need (more) instructions on how (the relnotes specific) things work
so that we can participate. :)

-dim

--
Dimitris Glezos