XML2PO is weird!

Miloš Komarčević kmilos at gmail.com
Sun Mar 5 11:25:14 UTC 2006

On 3/5/06, Tommy Reynolds <Tommy.Reynolds at megacoder.com> wrote:
> It seems that xml2po(1) will sometimes expand entities and will
> sometimes _not_ expand entities.  There is a "-k" or a
> "--keep-entities" that claims "Don't expand entities", but it lies.
> Evidently there is a fallback mode in xml2po(1) where *all* entities
> are expanded.  I know there is an "-e" or "--expand-all-entities"
> switch, but I'm not using it.
>
> For example, generate a .POT file:
>
> $ cd example-tutorial
> $ xml2po -o the.pot en_US/example-tutorial.xml
>
> and then apply it (UNCHANGED!) against the original XML file using
> various combinations of "-e", "-k" and no switches at all:
>
> $ xml2po -o junk-e.xml -e -p the.pot en_US/example-tutorial.xml
> $ xml2po -o junk-k.xml -k -p the.pot en_US/example-tutorial.xml
> $ xml2po -o junk-plain.xml    the.pot en_US/example-tutorial.xml
>
> and then compare the files using diff(1).  There are NO differences.
>
> Anybody care to explain?  Or suggest a work-around?

I've incidentally contacted the xml2po maintainer on a different
subject, and Danilo did indeed confirm that the -k option is currently
broken. He suggested somebody file a bug report at

http://bugzilla.gnome.org/enter_bug.cgi?product=xml2po

and he'll look at it if there's a lot of interest.

Regards,
Miloš