Missing Translations

Renato Pavičić repavici at globalnet.hr
Mon Oct 9 01:39:26 UTC 2006

Dana Sat, 07 Oct 2006 19:00:01 +0200, Robert 'Bob' Jensen
<docs-list at fedoralinks.org> napisali ste:

> to draw the line some where. Is one line enough? I think we all agree
> that it is not. Is 50% enough? I personally do not think so. We are
> trying to have a professional looking finished product, for this at
> times I think even 90% is a bit to low.

It should be stated _before_ I've started on any translation. I would not
waste time on translating important parts of some modules. I am not happy
with less than 90% either, but I think that within those packages I
managed to translate, there are most important parts.

Anyway, one cannot compare lines in like fedora-backgrounds with those in
desc.

> What can we do better?
>      More translators.

No. Better attitude toward existing translators. We asked on many, many
occasions to provide automatic update of PO's. Answers are like: "why
should we (i18n maintainers) bother, let every translator take take care
of it by himself". Ok, then I will let the files to be translated by
end-users! Why should I bother?

Also, again, I ask for a mean to inform maintainer of individual lang PO
that his/hers PO is updated with new lines. I have no time to hang arround
and refresh the i18n site every hour. And spend the time till next top of
the hour on crosschecking for new lines :S

It is easy to check those files every day, also it is easy to update each
PO with POT (thou it takes me 1-2 hours), yes it is easy --- to somebody
who does NOTHING else but this! I do NOT, I have to work. Sometime I can
devote 6 hours, sometimes it takes 6 days till I find time to _turn on_ my
PC.

And I beleive that there are other like me as well.

>      More time for translation.
>          It is our intent to allow for 10 days from the freeze to the
> need for translations for FC7. This will give the translation team an
> additional 3 days over what they have had in the past. Why? Because
> getting our release notes in every language is my personal goal. Yes 71
> languages. I would like to reach one half way to this goal by FC10.

Not only more time (but thnx on that), but REAL freeze for POT's as well.
On 3rd oct, on the day of the freeze, I saw several POT files to be
updated!

And, in test3, there were not latest translations. For several modules. I
don't see why I have to file a bug report, because I do not understand how
come when it is so easy for me to update and check PO's, then how come it
is so hard to take latest? There is nothing to check! Just take what is
there.

Also, it took me almost one week to notice that release notes were updated
 from some 600 to some 1100 lines. During update, some 400 lines were
marked as fuzzy, and more than half of them because some small typo in
POT. Small type or not, I had to spend same time reading those lines, and
those automaticaly translated.

When an update is done into any POT that is about only about removing
typos, the person who introduced those changes should inform everybody
about those changes. Like:
"
- removed typos in lines 1, 245, 654, 4343
- significant changes in lines 5323, 54 , 7676
- rest is new addition
"

If this is difficult, one has to ask himself why? I know why,because it is
so easy to do it by myself, wright? It is easier for one person
(introducer of new lines) to screw up the work of some 70 language teams.
You thing I am joking? Take a look at the line count! How many are alike,
and how many are true?

It is a waste of time when after several minutes of carefull studying of
quite long line, I found out that a blank space or a punctuation has been
removed. No metter whether I noticed that before, no matter wheter my
language rules state that a sentence has to end with a dot, I got fuzzy
(therefore untranslated) because somebody was to lazzy to proof POT before
commiting it. Or to announce his/hers changes.

Also, I don't see how adding new lines to my PO should be my
responsibility? I did not add new lines to POT. Whoever added those lines
has the responsibility to announce and update. It is easier to update 70
languages once, than for me to update 70 files every day. Just to be on a
safe side.

I had discussion with Sweedish translator. Both of us were convicted that
we had correct line count.

--
Best regards,
Renato Pavicic

mailto:repavici at globalnet.hr
also mailto:renato at translator-shop.org
homepage: www.translator-shop.org

Official Opera translator for Croatian language since April 2006