Automerge .po files with .pot files !

Lauri Nurmi lanurmi at iki.fi
Thu Sep 14 17:33:44 UTC 2006

to, 2006-09-14 kello 22:34 +0530, Ankitkumar Rameshchandra Patel
kirjoitti:
> Lauri Nurmi લખ્યું:
> >
> > The merging should absolutely *NOT* be automated.  Let's say you are
> > working on a translation, and then you do a 'cvs update' on the files.
> > A lot of conflicts are likely to be introduced when CVS tries to merge
> > together your local copy and the msgmerged copy from the repository.
> > Have a nice day manually resolving these conflicts...
> >
> > It cannot be too hard for a translator to do a 'msgmerge -U'
> > him/herself.
> >
> Absolutely *DISAGREE* with your point. We can fix the time to run
> automerge once in a day. So, that before that time everybody commit
> their translation.

Yes, you can fix a time, but e.g. I can not.  I translate whenever I
want to, and commit whenever I want to.  If I am working on something
bigger, I do not even commit every day.  If my work-in-progress
translation was messed up by some useless automatic merge, I would
probably not waste my time correcting it, but instead leave the whole
translation project and do something more useful on my spare time.

> Doing 'msgmerge -U' on him/herself is easy if it's the case for a
> single module or two modules, but what if person has to do this for
> all modules.

I do not see a reason why this could not be done with a script, if
needed.  However, I do not see the point of doing a msgmerge for all
modules just for fun anyway.  Certainly it should be enough if the
translator does the msgmerges *on the modules (s)he is working on*, not
all modules.

A completely different matter, though, is to fix the status page so that
it would compare the number of translated strings to the number of
strings in the .pot file.

--
(Mr) Lauri Nurmi