Re(2): Automerge .po files with .pot files !

Renato Pavičić repavici at globalnet.hr
Mon Sep 18 08:04:34 UTC 2006

Dana Mon, 18 Sep 2006 06:54:24 +0200, Ankitkumar Rameshchandra Patel
<ankit at redhat.com> napisali ste:

Hi,

I am in support of your effot 100%!

Yesterday I've spent some 3 (three) hours in proces of updating all
Croatian PO's with available POT's. Now, this is something I can do once a
month (erm, with no pleasure), but I cannot do that once a week,
especially every day.

I am thankfull to script brasilian team provied to us (was it brasilians?
I forgot, sry), but I cannot use that script as often as I wish. Over last
few months for private/professional reason I have to use Win. Therefore, I
translate under win. So, all updating has to be preformed under Win, with
Tortoise CVS.

On KDE localization site, they have automated scipt that runs once a day
and updates all _existing_ PO's with all available POT's. There is also a
web-svn access, where I can simply browse repository and dload POT for a
currently non-existent PO.

I was about to suggest that putting an additional column depicting POT
line number would be enough, but then I realized what if line number stays
the same despite changes? (minor changes, same number of added and deleted
lines).

Long time ago, when there were less languages and modules, manual update
of PO's was not som much of a trouble. But today there are numerous
languages and modules. Automation of updating will enhance overall work.

Furthermore, when Fedora is prepared for distributing, developers will
have finished and updated PO's at their convinience.

I am still worried about the fact when my PO shows 100%, but POT has
different line number (it happened several times). There were some
reductions in lines. Ie, after update Croatian language has:
14587 lines

But for instance, Swedish has:
14621 lines

What's with surpulus in Swedish? Do they realy have more lines that other
languages?
If not, what will happen to those lines? It's clear that if they missed to
update their PO's, then they have not only surplus lines, but they are
also lacking some!

Bacause, on each my update, if there are new lines, there are several
deprecated lines as well. If I update all PO's, and "day after" there are
changes in POT, and I miss to update my PO, and it still shows up 100%,
what then?

Oh, btw, did I mention that I am sole translator? It is easier if there
are several translators, they can divide their work among themselves, but
when your alone...

Best regards
Renato
Croatian localization

--
Best regards,
Renato Pavicic

mailto:repavici at globalnet.hr
also mailto:renato at translator-shop.org
homepage: www.translator-shop.org

Official Opera translator for Croatian language since April 2006