Release notes translation -- what's up?

Thomas Canniot thomas.canniot at laposte.net
Thu Sep 28 19:52:02 UTC 2006

Le mercredi 27 septembre 2006 à 22:15 -0400, Paul W. Frields a écrit :
> On Thu, 2006-09-28 at 01:49 +0100, Dimitris Glezos wrote:
> > We are less than 3 days before the translation freeze and the POT file for the
> > relnotes hasn't landed yet on i18n?
> >
> > Can we get some information about what's going on?
>
> The Docs Project folks have reached out for a number of Translation
> people, but with no luck --
>
> -- UNTIL: Aman got back and checked in with us tonight.  See his earlier
> message; the new POT is available which translators should merge and
> work on as soon as possible.  We apologize for the short notice.  We
> were about a day late or so with our output, which didn't help.  Rest
> assured this is not the end of this particular story, and we are going
> to step up our efforts to jump-start improvement of this process.

Thanks, but ... when I look at all the modifications that have been made
for the last relnotes issue, I really feel disappointed. I thought that
keeping complete and up to date translations of all the relnotes issues
during summer would avoid having so much strings to translate for the
latest issue. I was wrong.

It seems that beat writers were not keen on writing before fc6 final
release, then I should suggest that translators may need much more of a
week to translate the final relnotes issue. Moreover, more time could
avoid the panic/confusion that we saw this week.

I couldn't check my mail as much as I usually do this week. I got an
internet connection on Monday, but did not took the POT file as it was
not really up to date as it should. Now that I can, I am before a
393-strings-that-need-overreading document. I am VERY sad to tell that I
won't be able to translate that much of strings in so a little time :'(

French relnotes won't be on the DVD, oh sh*t :(

Cheers

Thomas Canniot
http://www.fedoraproject.org/wiki/ThomasCanniot