informal translator survey

Alan Cox alan at redhat.com
Thu Feb 22 16:59:43 UTC 2007

On Thu, Feb 22, 2007 at 11:39:10AM -0500, Bill Nottingham wrote:
> Some random questions...
>
> 1) Would you, as a translator, be OK with having to use git, mercurial,
>    subversion, or cvs, depending on which app you're translating?

Speaking for the Welsh translation group CVS is ok because it is available
on Windows and some translators prefer to use windows based po tools on
their desktop. Git/Mercurial and friends might be problematic, especially as
git requires some skill to use and easily breaks.

> 2) Would you, as a translator, be OK with doing all translating through
>    a web-based application?

Much of the translation is already done this way

http://www.kyfieithu.co.uk/index.php?lg=en&

and I'm sure Kevin would be delighted to see us use the GPL code if it
was useful to Red Hat. Unlike Ubuntu launchpad it is open source and it
supports translation of the web environment itself into multiple languages.

Alan

[the bit left in Welsh is a poem, not anything you need to follow to use it

(something like
	Magical is the wizards fire of ideas
	that is used to pick old bytes/chunks
	from the mine of language to be revitalized
	into the gold of new words
)
]