informal translator survey

Miloš Komarčević kmilos at gmail.com
Thu Feb 22 20:41:18 UTC 2007

On 2/22/07, Bill Nottingham <notting at redhat.com> wrote:
> 1) Would you, as a translator, be OK with having to use git, mercurial,
>    subversion, or cvs, depending on which app you're translating?

No, I wouldn't like to have to manage more than one system and set of
modules. It's wasteful and error prone - translators are usually not
as tech savvy as developers.

CVS is ok for now, but also wouldn't mind if everything moved to SVN
as both work on Win just as well.

> 2) Would you, as a translator, be OK with doing all translating through
>    a web-based application?

I'm open to the option, but haven't seen a good interface yet. The
Serbian team is using evaluating Pootle a bit, but it leaves a lot to
be desired atm. No diffs or any kind of changelogs, no immediate
visual feedback from new suggestions, reviewing suggestions is very
unwieldy, if you can find the option that is, as someone already
mentioned...

My preference is to edit locally and upload via webUI or commit
through CVS/SVN most of the time.

Regards,
Miloš