Efforts of translation

Chester Cheng ccheng at redhat.com
Mon Nov 12 00:39:20 UTC 2007

Fabian Affolter 提到:
> Nguyen Vu Hung wrote:
>
>> I don't know if there is any tool, or method that allows me to
>> estimate the effort of translation, for example, it takes 08 hours to
>> translate 1000 words...
>
> I personally don't know any method to calculate the time of a
> translation automatically.  There are very big differences in the
> translation data:  some strings are easy, some parts can be done with
> the help of tools, and other sentences are very hard to translate.
>
> IMHO, the only way to determine the needed time is experience.
>
> Regards,
>
> Fabian

Hi Nguyen,

You may try "po2sgml".  It tells you how long it takes to translate a
file based on 250 words/hour.  You can change this number easily with
"--rate=x" option.

Hope this helps.

$ rpm -qf `which po2sgml`
perl-SGML-Translate-0.37-3

$ po2sgml --report ~/cvs/translate/sos/ja.po
/home/ccheng/cvs/translate/sos/ja.po: 294/294 translated words (100.00%)
total: 294/294 translated words (100.00%)
total: 0.00 untranslated hours, 0.00 remaining hours

Regards,
Chester