Online translation tool?

Dimitris Glezos dimitris at glezos.com
Fri Oct 5 23:55:56 UTC 2007

Στις 01-10-2007, ημέρα Δευ, και ώρα 16:17 +0200, ο/η Marek Mahut έγραψε:
> Hello Dimitris,
>
> Dimitris Glezos wrote:
> > I don't remember if I brought this up in the past, but some people have
> > suggested to add a tool to our translation infrastructure for doing
> > translations online. Some translators might prefer it, so we could have
> > that too (as long as it integrates with our existing workflow).
> >
> > Benefits: more people working on the same translation, lower barrier to
> > entry, easier to handle big files, tools have workflow embedded (reviews
> > etc).
> >
> > To the folks that are interested in working on our l10n toolchain,
> > here's a small task: Interested in investigating this a bit more? :)
>
> +1, I think that this is what Fedora Translation project really needs.
> If I look at ubuntu (lunchpad) or jamendo.com, I see that this strategy
> works in awesome way!
>
> Please, count me in for help!

Awesome. Since we've now got some experience in setting up similar
software, I could put up a task page with some steps we need to take,
and then we can see from there what we need.

Marek, are you willing to lead/push this? Of course I'll help any way I
can and co-maintain.

> > Some Qs that we'd need answered: What tools are out there (eg. Pootle)?
> > How do they interface with the VCS and what are the options for
> > authentication? What are their requirements in terms of software and
> > infrastructure?
>
> - From system point of view, I'm not sure what's the best. But form I've
> heard pootle isn't so bad.
>
> - Regarding authentication processes, I think everybody should be free
> to translate without login, but for direct commit only few people (team
> leads) would have ability to commit translated text.

>From what I know, we've got this obligation that all translations should
be done by people who have signed the CLA.

So, we should check whether giving language coordinators the ability to
commit non-CLA-signed stuff is a good idea or not. Theoretically, if the
person is willing to take the responsibility, it should be OK. And I
don't think we'll have a problem with translations (it's not like it's
code or art).

Karsten? (CCing)

> - I would integrate it to transfix, what do you think? How much work is it?

*Transifex*. :D

It will require a considerable amount of work. But the low-level parts
are there: commit/push, integration with the Account System, controller
examples. It's a really nice project for anyone who'd like to dig
Turbogears a bit. Also, the foundation of Pootle (translate-toolkit)
could be used here as well, and a project like this could give us a
starting point for a workflow layer (translators, reviewers, etc).

Installing and extending Pootle (upstream, upstream, upstream!) seems
the Right Thing for now; some research should be made to see if
implementing "from scratch" would be more beneficial long-term.

-d

--
Dimitris Glezos
http://dimitris.glezos.com/