Stats (not) updating correctly

Bart Couvreur couf at skynet.be
Thu Sep 13 08:50:32 UTC 2007

Op donderdag 13-09-2007 om 12:34 uur [tijdzone +0530], schreef
Ankitkumar Rameshchandra Patel:
> Dimitris Glezos લખ્યું:
> > Στις 12-09-2007, ημέρα Τετ, και ώρα 18:14 -0300, ο/η Domingo Becker
> > έγραψε:
> >
> > > Is it possible to have a cron job to merge POT changes into PO files ?
> > >

> > I think it is possible, and in fact even someone from us could do it
> > every now and then, right?
> >
> > If we get to build something that can be run from one person and get it
> > to become a bit mature and work right, then a cron could run it too, and
> > Infra will be more willing to try it out than writing it from
> > scratch. :)
> >

> 1. Why can't we run the existing automerge script running on
> i18n.redhat.com through cronjob?

Well we could keep that one up and running, just for the modules on
i18n.r.c, but for the others that have moved this could become a bit
problematic, we would need to have a script for each VCS. The automerge
script works great for CVS, if it could be ported to git, hg, svn, ...
it would be a start. Although that would make us responsible for keeping
it working, keeping the weight off Infra

> > On the other hand, this might not be optimal for a number of reasons. It
> > throws a big weight on Infra to maintain it, for example, and it should
> > work across VCSs with the ability to commit. From this point of view, it
> > sounds like something Transifex could do: Transifex is a translator-side
> > tool (in contrast to a maintainer or administrator-side tool) *with*
> > access to a lot of VCSs. It would be trivial to ask transifex "which
> > modules need merging?" and have it do a for loop and commit since most
> > of the code is there. Anyone willing to write a patch? :)
> >

> 2. I could give a try, definitely take a longer time for me as out of
> touch now. OR someone who's expert in programming can jump in...

Looks like a very logical thing to do. OTOH this would include some
extra work for translators before they can get started doing any real
translation: check with Transifex *if* the PO is up to date, if not run
the sync, get the file, translate, commit, ...

> > Also, to give another dimension to the issue: an even more efficient
> > (and logical) approach would be to do it right from the start (the
> > PO/POT creation): urge more developers to use intltool, and for those
> > modules that intlool can't be used (for a variety of reasons), the
> > person/script that updates the POT should update the POs as well.
> >

> 3. You are right. That's the best option. Developers/Package
> maintainers are not doing it for some reason i don't know.

+1, scratch out the middle-man

> > My 2 cents.
> >
> > -d
> >
> I think the preference order for these solutions should be 3, 1,
> 2...What do you say?

Yeah, fair enough

> --
> Regards,
> Ankit Patel

Regards,
Bart

--
Bart <couf at fedoraproject.org> <couf at skynet.be>
key fingerprint: 6AAB 544D 3432 D013 776D  3602 ADB6 6B2A D93F 0F93