pruning the fonts list
nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Fri Apr 18 21:13:20 UTC 2008
Le vendredi 18 avril 2008 à 15:57 -0400, Bill Nottingham a écrit :
> When looking over the LiveCD manifest, and where space is going, I
> can't help but notice that a lot of it goes to fonts. Here's the
> full list, AFAICT. The number to the left is the size of the package.
> I think a good chunk of this could be pruned.
My advice would be:
1. drop every core fonts package except one to keep legacy users happy
2. drop xorg-x11-fonts-Type1. Nothing in there not provided by more
modern font packages
3. fonts-japanese is probably not 100% necessary when VLGothic is
4. drop culmus — DejaVu full includes Hebrew no one complained of during
the F9 cycle, so no need to keep a separate Hebrew font on a
5. Have the Arabic l10n group choose between kacst and paktype
6. Have the Indic l10n group sort the huge number of indic fonts,
keeping only one package per script (sarai, lohit, smc, samyak)
7. Have the Chinese l10n group choose between cjkunifonts-uming and
8. add dejavu-fonts-experimental — you *really* want the distro default
fonts to have a complete face set, a lot of users will notice and
I'm afraid most wins are in 3. 5. 6. & 7., and they depend on l10n
groups telling us their wishes, which unfortunately has not happened a
lot so far. http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/SIGs/Fonts/Triaging/L10N
remains terribly incomplete.
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: not available
Size: 197 bytes
Desc: Ceci est une partie de message
Url : http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/trans/attachments/20080418/4d21f883/attachment.bin
More information about the trans