pruning the fonts list

Jens Petersen petersen at redhat.com
Sun Apr 20 23:26:48 UTC 2008

Nicolas Mailhot さんは書きました:
> 3. fonts-japanese is probably not 100% necessary when VLGothic is
> available

Right.  It is only pulled in by @japanese-support, but should be
installed for Japanese installs I think.

Ditto for @hebrew-support.

Hmm they are currently both default in the @fonts group.

> 6. Have the Indic l10n group sort the huge number of indic fonts,
> keeping only one package per script (sarai, lohit, smc, samyak)

The Indic fonts are pretty small.  I think mostly Lohit is preferred,
except for Malayalam (smc, which is not yet in comps).  Again sarai and
samyak are optional in @fonts.

We already have this in @fonts, and should not make this choice for
@chinese-support.

Agreed.  This is also already default in @fonts.

> I'm afraid most wins are in 3. 5. 6. & 7., and they depend on l10n
> groups telling us their wishes, which unfortunately has not happened a
> lot so far. http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/SIGs/Fonts/Triaging/L10N
> remains terribly incomplete.

So basically just following the current defaults in @fonts will give you
nearly everything you want already.  And that is my suggestion: use
@fonts for this, not the language support groups which should be
considered optional.

Jens

--