native-language v. English-language names in WebUIs

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Tue Dec 9 02:43:12 UTC 2008

On Mon, Dec 08, 2008 at 05:42:05PM +0000, Miloš Komarčević wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 8, 2008 at 5:15 PM, Karsten Wade <kwade at redhat.com> wrote:
> > Pardon my reply to self ...
> >
> > Right after I sent this, Paul suggested 'native names for languages'
> > as a Google search term, and that seems to give me what I need.
> >
> > Sorry for the noise. :)
> >

> I would use such lists with some reservation though, as they are
> usually composed by other enthusiasts and not necessarily language
> experts.
>
> For example, the list in the first Google hit
> http://rishida.net/names/languages.html puts down native names for
> Serbian starting with capitals - this is wrong since langauge in most
> Slavic languages is just an adjective and written in lowercase as such
> (similar mistake for Macedonian, Croatian, Slovenian, etc.)

Yes, I noticed and was worried about that.

> I have asked recently about where gdm tucked away it's list [1], and
> have since peeked in the source code: it looks like the list is no
> more, they try to work it out real-time from available glibc locales,
> /usr/share/locale contents, and /usr/share/xml/iso-codes (with varying
> degrees of success..).
>
> Anaconda's list, iso-codes xml files, or Wikipedia could be better sources.

Bill said in the bug report that it was embedded in a .c file through
Fedora 8, but it is now dynamically generated.

I'll use Anaconda's list and replace anything that looks even slightly
different.  I like using an in-distro source, because it gives us one
place to correct as canonical.

Thanks - Karsten
http://quaid.fedorapeople.org
AD0E0C41