What Fedora makes sucking for me - or why I am NOT Fedora

Dimitris Glezos dimitris at glezos.com
Tue Dec 9 20:22:11 UTC 2008

On Tue, Dec 9, 2008 at 9:56 PM, Thomas Spura
<spurath at students.uni-mainz.de> wrote:
> Am Dienstag, den 09.12.2008, 20:22 +0100 schrieb Lauri Nurmi:
>> But I thought the goal was to improve the quality of translations.  Do
>> you think "anyone from everywhere" produces better translations than the
>> current team?
>>
>> If translating is made too easy, it encourages people with too little
>> motivation and skill to participate.  Allowing random people to
>> translate a few strings in a dozen random packages will not produce high
>> quality translations.  It will be quantity over quality.
>
> No! The team stays always the same!! You don't need do download the .po
> anymore and can contribute from any pc around you. Nothing else was
> meant by that… There you need to authenicate as a translator as usual.
>
> I never wanted to replace or something else with the team, only a better
> support to translate. Or is aren't you interested in an easier
> translation? ;-)

Adding a web-based translation tool to our infrastructure will allow
teams to receive more translations, which they can edit later on,
potentially saving our core translators time and energy. An example of
packages being benefited can be specspo (massive) and release notes
(big and little time).

Such an action can happen if we find a way to integrate it to our
workflow (ie make it work in parallel to offline translation, which is
_easier_ for most of our translators) and some people to step up to
set it up and deploy it this way.

-δ

--
Dimitris Glezos