Upcoming elvis move -- preparations

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Fri Feb 15 14:36:50 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-02-14 at 22:58 +0200, Dimitris Glezos wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> a quick reminder that on Monday we have the elvis move.
>
> I've prepared a mass email to the people with an elvis translation
> account to inform them for the move, and suggest to create Fedora
> accounts. The email will be sent (hopefully) tomorrow, to give our
> contributors a window of 3 days to create a Fedora account. A couple
> of things for consideration:
>
>  1. We'll use the updated Translation Quick Start Guide for
> instructions to join the Fedora L10n Project. All teams that would
> like their contributors to migrate smoothly, might want to make sure
> their TQSG translations are up2date:
>
>   http://translate.fedoraproject.org/module/docs-translation-quick-start-guide

And you'll need to have those updates published quickly!  Please send
notifications of your finished translations to
fedora-docs-list at redhat.com, cc: me and Karsten Wade, so we can get them
up on the web as quickly as possible.

>  2. We'll need some help over on IRC, to make sure any users having
> questions will find the help they need for information about the
> project, and SSH key and account creations.

If I am able to clear a click-to-accept CLA for Transifex with Legal,
how long would it take for you to implement that?  It sure would be nice
if translators didn't have to go through our awful process to work in
Transifex.

>  3. We'll get a bunch of new users on our FAS group and mailing list.
> To people who have 'sponsor' access on cvsl10n: please keep an eye on
> upcoming requests, check out if the user is indeed a user of ours, and
> grant her access as quickly as possible. Anyone willing to help out in
> this process, just send me an email.
>
>  4. Let's make sure all new contributors feel welcome! Our more
> distributed environment is definitely more complex than the older one,
> but it's the right thing (tm) to do. The TQSG and /wiki/L10N/FAQ are
> our best docs right now, feel free to add any Q that comes up in the
> FAQ and then point the user there, so that we have it ready for the
> next time.

This is very true -- Transifex is a big step forward for community
translation process.  It's the things surrounding it that are creating
any hassle, and the sooner we can get them solved, the sooner more
translators and developers are going to appreciate the new opportunities
it creates!

> That's it for now! Now, if only I had a way to send an email to ~2300
> people without choking any SMTP servers..

:-)