deployment guide

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Fri Jul 18 13:25:21 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-07-18 at 10:01 -0300, Domingo Becker wrote:
> It would be nice to have something like CentOS's Deployment Guide for Fedora.
> By reading that document
> (http://www.centos.org/docs/5/html/5.2/Deployment_Guide/) I see Fedora
> 9 has many tools and things greatly improved. So the job to build one
> seems to be not easy.
> But a guide like this would reduce the time used to search for
> information to an administrator.

We've been asking Red Hat to donate this to the Fedora commons for some
time.  This is a much bigger issue than it appears at first glance.

My personal opinion (with my blue fedora on) is that the Deployment
Guide is not much of an asset to Red Hat, since people can essentially
get the same documentation around the web (granted, with different
levels of quality).  It's not as big a value as something like the
Cluster or GFS guides, and it requires much less work for the community
to maintain with Red Hat as participants, to whatever extent they like.

With my red fedora back on, I know that many people have devoted many
hours to working on that material.  So it's important that they see
working with the community on the Deployment Guide as a win, and not a
failure.

--
Paul W. Frields