Maintainers not updating LINGUAS regularly

Dimitris Glezos dimitris at glezos.com
Thu Jun 19 16:26:59 UTC 2008

On Thu, Jun 19, 2008 at 6:09 PM, Bill Nottingham <notting at redhat.com> wrote:
> Miloslav Trmač (mitr at volny.cz) said:
>> Exactly.  5 minutes times 60 languages is...
>
> A good reason not to use autoconf/LINGUAS and just write Makefile rules
> to ship whatever's there.

I think giving the language team control whether their language is
shipped yields better QA. While for a simple UI it might make sense to
have 30% randomly translated strings (does it?), for a doc or website,
'barely acceptable' might mean at least a selected 70% subset of the
strings. ("Selected" could eg. mean a website localized except one
whole page instead of a few sentences in each page.)

With this POV, I believe the language team should be responsible for
adding the locale in LINGUAS.

-d

--
Dimitris Glezos