Suggestion: Translation deadline to be moved 1 week earlier

Dimitris Glezos dimitris at glezos.com
Sun Mar 23 23:18:58 UTC 2008

A few days ago we had a conference call with a bunch of folks involved
in the release process of Fedora, in order to discuss the upcoming
release of Fedora 9, and I was asked to represent the FLP.

I mentioned one of the FLP "requirements" is to have packages
repackaged after the translation deadline, which is on 7/4. Since the
freeze date (date where packages are taken by RelEng) is 8/4,
maintainers have only 24h to repackage. Some of them may do it in this
short window and some others might not.

>From what I understand, moving the feature freeze later is no option
for now. In order to make sure packages F9 has as many translations as
possible, we might want to move the deadline some days earlier, say
from 7/4 to 3/4 or even a week earlier on 31/3. This means we'll have
one week less to submit our translations, but a higher possibility for
repackaging by the developers.

The earlier we decide what we want to do, the earlier we can start
letting people know about the date to repackage.

In other news, I'm still tied up with my job with almost no time for our stuff.

-d

--
Dimitris Glezos
http://dimitris.glezos.com/