Self-Introduction: Oron Peled

Dimitris Glezos dimitris at glezos.com
Fri Mar 28 22:44:02 UTC 2008

On Fri, Mar 28, 2008 at 10:46 PM, Oron Peled <oron at actcom.co.il> wrote:
> Hi everybody,
>
> I'm from Haifa, Israel. A long time programmer, instructor and consultant
> in Unix/Linux systems and haven't contributed much so far (shame on me).
>
> My current goal is to advance the Hebrew translation of Fedora.

Awesome, good to have you on the team Oron!

> [Note: BiDi == Bidirectional: Hebrew, like Arabic, Farsi and other
>       similar languages is written right-to-left]
>
> However, there is no Hebrew support at all during installation!
> Being late to the F9 game, I've started with the quickest
> candidate and translated the comps module. Next week, when no more
> commits to code are possible, I'll try to put some time into F9 relnotes
> and announcements so we have at least something visible for F9.
>
> My longer goal for Fedora (F10?) is to add Hebrew support to anaconda.
> Together with the comps file it will enable complete localized
> installation and will lower the barrier to entry in my country.

Sounds like a plan. You can become the coordinator for this effort and
set up a team around Hebrew.

  http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/L10N/Maintainer

Let us know if there's any question we could answer, and please attend
the next L10n meeting to get to know you better. :-)

-d

> This will probably require adding BiDi support to anaconda.
> While I'm not a pythonist it may be a good chance to start playing
> a bit with this language (I had enough of C/C++/Java/Perl/sh)
>
> Two years ago I've added BiDi support (and some Hebrew translation)
> to the wesnoth game upstream. This was done via the fribidi library
> maintained by Behdad Esfahbod and was pretty easy (wesnoth code is
> organized very well)
>
> Hmmm... I haven't seen other BiDi languages use this and add their
> translations to this popular game...  Arabic? Farsi? hint, hint...
>
> If nobody wants to be the Hebrew team maintainer, I'm willing to do it.
>
> GPG fingerprint:
>  pub   1024D/7142AC53 2000-08-17
>       Key fingerprint = 8C43 2019 5146 E6F1 0117  DA04 CD56 D7D0 7142 AC53
>  uid                  Oron Peled (My Secret Key) <oron at actcom.co.il>
>  sub   1024g/30982F1C 2000-08-17
>
> Good night everybody,
>
> --
> Oron Peled                             Voice/Fax: +972-4-8228492
> oron at actcom.co.il                  http://www.actcom.co.il/~oron
> ICQ UIN: 16527398
>
> "Debugging is at least twice as hard as writing the program in the
> first place.  So if your code is as clever as you can possibly make
> it, then by definition you're not smart enough to debug it."
>                                                 -- Brian Kernighan

Dimitris Glezos
http://dimitris.glezos.com/