some troubles on FAS translating

Marek Laane bald at smail.ee
Fri May 9 14:40:53 UTC 2008

Ühel kenal päeval (reede 09 mai 2008 17:32:34) kirjutas 田世雄:
> Hello everyone again,
>
> Fortunately, I spent hours on the file and find the mistake finally,
> The problem has been solved.
> There were two places of  my  translation differ from the English original
> lines and these made the mistake happened.
>
> New question: the output:
> *msgfmt -cvo /dev/null zh_CN.pozh_CN.po:512: number of format
> specifications in 'msgid' and 'msgstr' does not match
> zh_CN.po:1124: a format specification for argument 'userview' doesn't exist
> in 'msgstr'
> msgfmt: found 2 fatal errors
> 323 translated messages, 3 fuzzy translations, 3 untranslated messages.
>
> *showed that the errors were at *zh_CN.pozh_CN.po:512 & **
> zh_CN.pozh_CN.po:1124,
> *but in fact they were not at there.
>  So, how can I find the mistakes by using this output?
>
> Sincerely,
> Tianshixiong
>
> 2008/5/9 田世雄 <tiansworld at gmail.com>:
> > Hello everyone,
> > Recently I've been translating Fedora Account system.
> > At the beginning, the pot file had 324 lines. There were no mistakes when
> > using msgfmt to check after I translated some lines everytime and then I
> > uploaded the PO file(324 lines).
> >
> > Today , I found that the POT file became 329 lines, so I download my PO
> > files(329 lines now) of mine(the one I submitted) and translated it,
> > after that when I did msgfmt check, the mistake occurred.  Here is the
> > output: *
> > [tt at fas ^_^]$msgfmt -cvo /dev/null zh_CN.pozh_CN.po:512: number of format
> > specifications in 'msgid' and 'msgstr' does not match
> > zh_CN.po:1124: a format specification for argument 'userview' doesn't
> > exist in 'msgstr'
> > msgfmt: found 2 fatal errors
> > 323 translated messages, 3 fuzzy translations, 3 untranslated messages.*
> >
> > Please tell me how to fix these mistakes. And also I want to know if the
> > original POT file was updated, should I translate it again or just update
> > the my old PO file by using some method?
> >

> > Please help me.
> >
> > Sincerely,
> >
> > Tianshixiong

It means you'll find the errors respectively in lines 514 and 1124. You seem
to confuse lines in file and messages - file has 329 messages but rather much
more lines. Open it in some texte editor (Kate, GEdit, whatever you like),
check you have option to view lines in and you'll see errors are exactly on
indicated lines (or very nearby).