F10 Release Notes PO files

Noriko Mizumoto noriko at redhat.com
Thu Nov 6 01:08:29 UTC 2008

Paul W. Frields さんは書きました:
> On Wed, Nov 05, 2008 at 11:44:23AM -0300, Domingo Becker wrote:

>>> Noriko,
>>>
>>> I believe I'm the person who updated the POT, but I thought I was
>>> giving translators early content to make sure they were able to work
>>> as long as possible on the correct content.
>>>
>>> Are you saying that updating the POT files destroys your previous
>>> work?  I thought that the update would simply mark new strings that
>>> have changed a little bit as fuzzy.  Does this really require that
>>> work stop?  Don't translators have a way of getting the updates
>>> without destroying their existing work?
>>>
>> It seems it does not destroy translations.
>> I started translations with an es.po file a week ago, I commited
>> translations some hours ago, against the new es.po file with the new
>> strings and it seems it does not destroy my work.
>> t.fp.o [1] shows for Spanish 341/476/207 (1024 strings) while my
>> poEdit shows 353/477/200 (1030 strings). Of course, I have to download
>> the new .po file to continue working.
>
> I wonder what will happen when we do the *next* change of the POT and
> PO.  I expect that the gettext utils would mark some things fuzzy if
> there is a slight change between your work and the new updates.  I
> would certainly hope that no work would be completely lost or futile!

Paul, don't worry it does not destroy, but the situation seems not nice.
This is how I am understanding and had experience when used to work on cvs.
The translator has been working the file on her machine not commit it to
the repository yet, let's say the version 1.0. Beside the author updated
this version with some change resulting the version 1.1. Now the
translator tried to commit the file worked, but she got error message
saying the file is conflict. Because the repository has latest version
of 1.1, while she is still trying to commit version 1.0.
She needs to merge her file of 1.0 and 1.1 locally before commit. If
there are 10 translators, this local merge must be done for each language.
If the author notified translators to commit before update, this merge
is not required.

Now I see strange thing here, and need some help.
I did 'git pull', so I got latest PO files with 1024 strings intead
1030. I did test commit po_BR.po translated with 1030 strings against
latest pt_BR.po with 1024 strings.

[noriko at noriko po]$ git commit -m 'commit test' pt_BR.po
Created commit dd92755: commit test

I got no error, but it seems overwritten when I see log.

[noriko at noriko po]$ git log pt_BR.po
commit dd92755ac9c5998d2e59be8ea578d52188fa5d6c
Author: noriko <noriko at redhat.com>
Date:   Thu Nov 6 10:39:35 2008 +1000

     commit test

commit f3595ce789f269f53a6634688e468f93907717b0
Author: Paul W. Frields <stickster at gmail.com>
Date:   Tue Nov 4 09:35:20 2008 -0500

     Update POT and PO files

commit be922275841a93fd0d1887516231632e4b8cb97e
Author: Paul W. Frields <stickster at gmail.com>
Date:   Tue Nov 4 06:45:28 2008 -0500

     Update POT and PO files -- there is more new content coming before
the Novem

commit 671b060c6cb1b495d391b56ca9aaf3650c223a69
Author: Paul W. Frields <stickster at gmail.com>
Date:   Tue Oct 21 22:13:26 2008 -0400

     Update POT and PO with new XML file content
:

noriko