Decision needed (was Re: Requesting a string freeze break of comps)

Christoph Wickert christoph.wickert at googlemail.com
Tue Oct 21 20:47:59 UTC 2008


Am Donnerstag, den 16.10.2008, 04:33 +0200 schrieb Christoph Wickert:
> Am Donnerstag, den 16.10.2008, 02:27 +0300 schrieb Dimitris Glezos: 
> > 2008/10/16 Christoph Wickert <christoph.wickert at googlemail.com>:
> > > Hi everybody,
> > >
> > > I'd like to ask for a string freeze break of the comps file for F10,
> > > because I want to add a new group for LXDE [1] called lxde-desktop. See
> > > diff below for the proposed changes.
> > >
> > > Rationale:
> > > People should be able to install LXDE with a single click/command.
> > >
> > > Impact:
> > > Minor, only two stings all together: The first one can not be
> > > translated, LXDE will always be LXDE. The second string is the
> > > description, which is not even visible in package kit these days. So
> > > localization of this string is not really necessary but only nice to
> > > have for 'yum groupinfo'.
> > >
> > > Impact of not accepting the break:
> > > If we don't add this group to comps the LDXE feature is definitely
> > > washed-up for F10.
> > 
> > Looking at the comps translation statistics, more than 25 languages
> > will drop to 99%. This will probably make equal number of people
> > download the POs again, translate, and commit back.
> > 
> > Here's an idea. LXDE's description is quite similar to the XFCE one:
> > 
> > +    <_name>LXDE</_name>
> >  +   <_description>Lightweight X11 Desktop Environment.</_description>
> >     <_name>XFCE</_name>
> >     <_description>A lightweight desktop environment that works well on
> > low end machines.</_description>
> > 
> > How about using XFCE's description for this release to avoid breaking
> > the freeze? 
> 
> To be honest I don't really like this idea but it's better then not
> making the changes in at all. I guess that 99% of the users will not
> notice it anyway.
>
> > If you rebuild the PO files, the translation completeness
> > shouldn't change.
> 

So far I have one positive and no negative vote. If I agreed to the
Dimitris suggestion, will I get another +1 then? I really _need_ a
decision _now_ because my feature is finished (for 10 days now) and I
still want it to get into F10 before final feature freeze (scheduled for
October 28th).

Please give me more feedback, ether positive or negative.

TIA,
Christoph





More information about the trans mailing list