Translation Schedule F10 and beyond

Ankitkumar Rameshchandra Patel ankit at redhat.com
Sat Sep 13 08:57:08 UTC 2008

John Poelstra wrote:
> Hello everyone,

Hi John,

Thanks for spending time to create the fedora-translation related
schedules. It would certainly clear the road map for FLP team.
> There have been some recent discussions on fedora-devel-list about
> some of the scheduled dates for translation and needing to refine them
> a bit.  We probably won't be able to adjust the general Fedora 10
> milestones at this point, but we can add Translation specific tasks
> and deadlines so that other parts of Fedora have a better
> understanding of all the great work your team does!  In a separate
> email in the future we can also start defining a Fedora 11 schedule
> that will work better for you.

Understand your point. However, the issues need to be mentioned here for
future release planning, as release engineering team used to forget
considering FLP team.

* There should be
== Section for software applications/packages/GUI translations ==
    1. Planning phase
       -> Packages which needs to be translated should be decided.
       -> Criteria for language support with respect to translations has
to be decided in this phase. (e.g. If X language is introduced in
particular release, it has to be translated in Y packages with Z% of
translations to get it in the supported status - It's almost like a new
new feature inclusion criteria)
    2. Development phase
       -> Source code development finishes.
       -> Branching of the source-codes (Including translation files)
for packages has to be done by package maintainers at this stage.
       -> String Freeze
       -> Actual translation happens here. Note: This task can't be put
in the testing phase, as it's a part of the development phase.
       -> All packages should be built with the inclusion of the latest
translations.
    3. Testing phase (Alpha, beta, etc)
       -> Translators test the applications with respect to translations
and submit the appropriate patches/corrections in specific release (e.g.
F-9, F-10, F-11, etc) branches of the packages.
       -> All packages, who gets updates in the translations should be
rebuilt.
== Section for documentation translations ==
    4. Launch phase
       -> Translations of documentation guides
       -> Translations of release notes
       -> Translations of web pages, relevant to specific release
    5. Maintenance phase
       -> After the release, with respond to bugs/issues filed by end
users, translators will maintain translations of their languages in
particular release (e.g. F-9, F-10, F-11, etc) branch.
       -> If any of the packages get updates in translations, package
has to be rebuilt to reflect the changes submitted by translators.

If any of the above is possible with the current F-10 schedule, it would
be very helpful...
> As a starting point I've stubbed out a schedule using the general
> Fedora milestones.
> http://poelstra.fedorapeople.org/schedules/f-10/f-10-trans-tasks.html
>
> Please let me know which additional tasks you would like to include on
> the Translation schedule.  To accurately reflect each task (and so
> that we can automatically generate a schedule in the future) please
> tell me:

Now, for the current F-10 plan, I would like to clear one thing first.

There are two tasks on the task juggler report you put on the web, for
"PO Files due from Translation".
First one due is "Tue 2008-10-21"
Second one due is "Thu 2008-11-06"

Could you please let's know, which date is the last date to complete
Fedora 10 Software applications/packages translations?
> a) task name
> b) when the task starts
> c) how many work days the task takes
> d) other task(s) that must finish prior to this task
> starting(dependencies)
>
> Once we have all of the tasks defined that you would like I will add
> the remaining reports for your team and then they will appear in the
> title bar like the other teams:
> http://poelstra.fedorapeople.org/schedules/f-10/f-10-all-tasks.html
> Art, Docs, etc.
I know a little bit of how to use task juggler. Let me know, if you need
my help to take care of the Fedora translations related schedules.
> If there are other ways I can help please let me know.
The only message I would like to pass here to the developers especially,
that "Developers/package maintainers should understand that they are not
the only people who work on particular package they maintain, but
translators are also part of the package development team. Most of the
package maintainers understands this and gives an importance to
translations work too, but still the message needs to be reminded to
them during every release."
> John
>
> p.s. If you're interested in how TaskJuggler works you can download
> the source and build schedules yourself following these directions:
> http://poelstra.fedorapeople.org/schedules/f-10/source/readme
John, once again, thanks a lot for extending your help in the schedules
specific to the translations!

--
Regards,
Ankit Patel